If you would like to hire a foreign employee, he/she needs to have a work permit. Most occupations require LMIA which is a complicated process. We will make it easy for you.


There are two types of work permit which are issued by the IRCC.

  1. Open Work Permit
  2. Employer Specific Work Permit            

Open Work Permit

An open work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada, except for an employer:

You can only get an open work permit in specific situations.

An open work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada.


To be eligible for an Open Work Permit, you should be under following situations:

  • Permanent residence applicants who have applied to an office in Canada,
  • Dependent family members of some permanent residence applicants,
  • Spouses and common-law partners of some workers and international students,
  • Refugees, refugee claimants, protected persons and their family members,
  • Some temporary resident permit holders, or
  • Some young workers participating in special programs.

In each of these situations, you must meet additional criteria to be eligible.


Employer specific work permit

An employer-specific work permit allows you to work according to the conditions on your work permit, which include:

  • the name of the employer you can work for,
  • how long you can work, and
  • the location where you can work (if applicable).


Most employer specific work permit application requires LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment). The LMIA is a document that an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker.

A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job. It will also show that no Canadian worker is available to do the job. A positive LMIA is sometimes called a confirmation letter. The process of hiring a foreign worker could be inconvenient for the employer. Let’s us help you to make it easy and efficient.

For more information about work permit and LMIA, please contact us or you can simply leave us a message below. First consultation is Free, No commitment.


Please kindly include your phone number if you would like to be contacted via telephone. Most of consultation will be in person. It is depend on how complexity of your case our immigration specialist consultant or immigration lawyer may present at our discretion.

While RIS would be pleased to discuss your immigration needs, please understand that merely contacting us does not create an client relationship. We cannot become your representative or represent you in any way unless satisfactory arrangements have been made with us for representation.