top of page



If you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, then you might need a study permit to study in Canada.

Eligibility criteria

In order to be eligible to submit an application for a Canadian study permit, a prospective student must: 

  • Obtain a Letter of Acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution in order to submit an application for a study permit; 

  • Prove that he or she has sufficient financial support to cover the first year of tuition, as well as living expenses and return transportation to his or her home country;

  • Obtain a Certificat d'acceptation du Quebec (Quebec Acceptance Certificate, or CAQ) if he or she wishes to study in Montreal or elsewhere in the Province of Quebec;

  • Have clean record. Applicants with a criminal background, or who pose a risk to Canadian security, may be refused. IRCC may request an applicant to provide a Police Clearance Certificate; 

  • Be in good health. IRCC may request an applicant to complete a medical examination; and,

  • Satisfy the immigration officer that he or she will leave Canada at the end of the stay authorized by the study permit.

The applicant may also be required to submit the following documents: 

  • Passport for the applicant and every accompanying family member included on the application;

  • Passport photos for the applicant and each accompanying family member included on the application

  • Photocopy of marriage certificate, if applicable; and,

  • Any further documents required by specific visa offices or Canadian embassy.

Accompanying family members

An applicant for a Canadian study permit may include his or her family members on the application, so that they may accompany the applicant to Canada. An accompanying spouse may be able to obtain an open work permit, and minor children may be able to study at Canadian elementary and secondary schools. To learn more, click here.

Financial requirements 

Applicants for a Canadian study permit are required to prove they have enough money to cover the first year of tuition fees. They also need to have the financial resources to support themselves, and any accompanying family members, each year. The following table show the amounts that a student is required to possess (all amounts in Canadian dollars):

Number of people All provinces except Quebec

Single student                                                      

Tuition plus $14,400 for a 12-month period (or $1200 per month)

For one accompanying family member

add:$4,000 for a 12-month period (or $333 per month)

For each additional family member,

add:$3,000 for a 12-month period per dependent child of any age (or $255 per month)

Fees information 

Government fee from $150

Biometrics collection fee starting from $85

Representation fee from $499

We offer visa service free of charge for students enrolled through ACCES Thailand. Please contact us for more detail.

Contact Us for more information about Canada Student Permits and Visas

bottom of page